- Username: danceswithhooves
- In response to: "If you were in a movie right now, what music would be playing?" "Lead Me" by Sanctus Real
- danceswithhooves's latest answers
- Home is where the _____ is...
The word "home" can evoke a plethora of thoughts and feelings that differ between countries, cultures, and individuals. Webster's online dictionary offers us a definition that alludes to the scope of such a simple word:
Definition of HOME (noun)
1a : one's place of residence : domicile b : house
2: the social unit formed by a family living together
3a : a familiar or usual setting : congenial environment; also : the focus of one's domestic attention
So what, exactly, does home mean to me? To be perfectly honest, my definition of "home" has evolved my entire life, and continues to change today. When I was a young, chubby youngster, the two requirements of my home were having my parents there (especially momma!), and a bed to sleep in. I was extremely blessed in that I grew up with both parents around and in one single solitary house - my parents haven't moved since they built the place in the early 70s - with both of my parents. I did all my growing up under that one roof, learning many of life's lessons along the way. Cue Miranda Lambert's recent release, "The House That Built Me," now, please. :0)
Then, of course, the horses came along, and I soon began to joke that "home is wherever my horse is (but truthfully wasn't really kidding)." As I continued to mature, my deep love for my parents remained (and still does of course!), but my emotional, "needy" ties slowly started to evaporate, and latched on to my beloved equines instead. To this day, I still cannot imagine calling any place "home" if my horses are not there, or at least residing somewhat close by.
Today, however, “home” has another addition to its definition, and he has a name that still makes me smile each time I see it when my phone rings. :0) He has a home of his own, one that has increasingly felt more and more like home to me over the past two years. Someday, we will have a place to call “home” together, where my horses reside, as will our dog, and a yet-to-be-adopted cat (or two!). Because now that I have found the man God made just for me, I can’t imagine anyplace feeling fully like home to me unless he is in it. Of course, this leaves me in sort of a peculiar state, as my home is fragmented into two locations, one where I presently live (with my dearly loved horses!), and the other, where my beloved lives. I look forward to the future, when my home will once again be in one single solitary place, but for now, I have learned to relish the blessings I have, even though I can’t enjoy them all at once.
Taking the cue from a delightful new blog I stumbled across this week, I’d like to share a few things extra dear to me today:
1. Soft rain
2. A warm office (thank you for the space heater, dad!)
3. My brand-new tires (and having enough money in savings to afford them!)
- Anticipating Autumn in the Country
Bareback rides on one of my lovelies. 'Nuff said, really, but I can share a little:
The leaves are starting to turn around our neck of the woods, and I could hardly wait to get home last night to hop aboard Dreamer and have him take me on a tour of the fieds and forests behind our house. I was greeted with the task of having to haul hay when I got home, however, and thought my chances at a little evening nature exploration were as good as gone. Thankfully, we got the hay picked up off the field and unloaded in the barn with just enough daylight left for Dreamer and I to make one pass through the woods. There are trees that haven't turned yet and some that are already losing all their leaves - the woods is in full autumn glory right now and I am in heaven! I certainly hope to get to enjoy nature's beauty first-hand again this evening after work!
- What am I most thankful for?
A recent Plinky prompt asked us to "share five things you're thankful for." How do I pick just FIVE things to say I'm thankful for? It's impossible! But, alas, here are some of the bigger ones on my mind this morning...
1. What About Hank. My first horse who has taught me more than any other person/school/college/book/animal in my life, and he continues to bring a smile to my face daily!
2. Dreamin Nonstop. The BEST best friend a girl could ask for, and he's a feast for my eyes to boot! Dreamer and I go together like peas and carrots, and I love the time I spend with him or on his back!
3. Brian, the love of my life. I thank God each day that he brought him into my life, and thank Him even more that He brought him back the second time too, this time for keeps!
4. My parents. Sure, they can drive me crazy sometimes, but they love me deeply and put up with me every day! I love them to pieces!
5. My Heavenly Father. If it wasn't for Him, I know full well I wouldn't have a single thing. In fact, I know for certain I wouldn't be alive yet today. He has blessed me with all of the above, and everything else I hold dear in my life.